Ward Map

Jefferson City's Five Wards

There will be competition for four of five seats up for election this year on the Jefferson City Council.

The annual municipal election will be Tuesday, April 6.  The city’s 10 council members are elected for staggered two-year terms. Each of the city’s five wards has two council members. The filing period for this year’s election ended Tuesday, Jan. 19.

Service on the council is limited to four consecutive terms, at which time a two-year break in service must occur. This year, two council members reached their term limit: Ken Hussey in Ward 3 and Carlos Graham in Ward 4.

Seeking the open seat in Ward 3 are Mary Schantz and Scott Spencer. Schantz is retired executive director of the Missouri Alliance for Home Care, and currently chairperson of the city’s Historic Preservation Commission. Spencer retired after 25 years with the Jefferson City Fire Department.

Seeking the open seat in Ward 4 are Derrick Spicer, Leonard Steinman II and Ryan Estes. Spicer is sales director at the Fairfield Inn & Suites. Steinman is a retired businessman, frequent candidate and regular at city council meetings. Estes is a security delivery specialist for IBM.

In Ward 1, incumbent David Kemna, a banker at Central Bank, is running unopposed.

In Ward 2, incumbent Laura Ward is being challenged by Edith Vogel, a retired nurse and businesswoman who previously served on the council from 1999-2007. Ward is a compliance manager at the University of Missouri.

In Ward 5, incumbent Mark Schreiber is being challenged by Alicia Edwards. Schreiber spent a career in law enforcement, retiring as Deputy Warden of Operations for the Missouri Department of Corrections. Edwards is executive director of Building Community Bridges, a Jefferson City non-profit that works with youth.

The city council makes laws, budgets city money and establishes policy and procedures for city staff. Council members must be a qualified voter of the city, have lived in the city for at least a year before the election, and in the ward they wish to represent for six months. The positions are non-partisan.

The mayor is elected for four years, with an eight-year term limit, and is also non-partisan.

Also up for election in April is a position for municipal judge that opened when former municipal judge Brian Stumpe was elected in November to an associate circuit court judge position. Running for that seat are local attorneys Scott Evans and Angela Silvey.

City prosecutor Gaylin Carver is running unopposed for re-election.

Also on the ballot in April will be a request from Cole County to renew a one-half cent sales tax for capital improvements. The tax was first implemented in the 1980s and has been renewed in four-year terms since. It was last extended in April 2016. In the last four years, the tax generated about $31 million. About 85% is used to fund road and bridge projects. The remaining 15% is used for facility and equipment improvements. If approved, the tax is projected to generate about $34.5 million from 2022-26.