About 13% of voters in Cole County turned out for the April municipal elections.

A request from the county to continue a one-half sales tax for capital projects for another five years was approved 5,325-1,422. The tax has been collected since 1986 and is used to maintain roads, bridges and facilities. It is projected to generate $34.5 million over the next five years. About 85% of the revenue is allocated to roads, thoroughfares, bridge improvements and stormwater projects. The other 15% is allocated to facility-related capital improvements.

Scott Evans

Scott Evans

In Jefferson City, attorney Scott Evans was elected municipal judge over attorney Angela Silvey, 2,389-1,652. The position was open because former municipal judge Brian Stumpe was elected last November a circuit court judge. The position pays $2,917 per month.

Incumbent prosecutor Gaylin Carver wasn’t challenged and reelected with 3,252 votes.

Laura Ward

Laura Ward

Mark Schreiber

Mark Schreiber

For the Jefferson City council, both incumbents retained their seats. In Ward 2, Laura Ward defeated Edith Vogel 330-229. In Ward 5, Mark Schreiber defeated Alicia Edwards 476-389. Ward is a compliance manager at the University of Missouri, Schreiber a retired lawman.

Scott Spencer

Scott Spencer

In Ward 3, retired firefighter Scott Spencer defeated Mary Schantz 688-508. The seat was open because Councilman Ken Hussey reached the four-consecutive term limit.

Derrick Spicer

Derrick Spicer

In Ward 4, Derrick Spicer, sales director at Fairfield Inn and Suites, was elected to a seat open due to the term limit of Councilman Carlos Graham with 580 votes. Ryan Estes received 308 votes and Leonard Steinmann 70 votes.

In Ward 1, Incumbent David Kemna ran unopposed and received 498 votes.

The city council makes laws, budgets city money and establishes policy and procedures for city staff. Council members must be a qualified voter of the city, have lived in the city for at least a year before the election, and in the ward they wish to represent for six months. The positions are non-partisan. The mayor is elected for four years, with an eight-year term limit, and is also non-partisan.

Voters returned two incumbents to the Jefferson City Board of Education. Ken Enloe and Lindsey Rowden were re-elected to three-year terms. Enloe received 3,550 votes and Rowden 3,514. Challenger Ian Shadrick received 1,824.

In Wardsville, three candidates ran for two positions on the Blair Oaks Board of Education. Newcomer Logan Gratz and Incumbent Tim Luebbering were elected. Gratz received 396 votes and Luebbering 380. Incumbent Dale Verslues received 333.

Voters in the Russellville area approved an increase in their property taxes to support the Russellville-Lohman Fire Protection District. The levy will generate about $150,000 annually. It was approved 296-104.